HeadSpin Proposes Speed Optimizations as Ideal Match for Bumble
Overview and Methodology for Our Analysis
iPhone 8 / Verizon / Miami
HeadSpin Connected Intelligence Platform
- Review multiple 3rd party SDKs that cause slowdown in launch time
- Ensure that immediate content is loaded first before future content
- Optimize connection reuse
- HeadSpin analyzed the latest version of the Bumble iOS app on a real iPhone 8 in Miami, on the Verizon network.
- NO SDK, code change or instrumentation was needed to run the remote performance sessions.
- HeadSpin’s AI engine sifted through network traffic, client-side metrics, and videos of the test execution to find areas of poor user experience and performance bottlenecks.
- Recommendations were provided for every issue that was surfaced.
HeadSpin looked at Bumble reviews in the App Store and found many users were struggling with performance issues and functional errors.
Insights and Recommendations
HeadSpin’s proprietary AI technology analyzes and prioritizes the core issues impacting critical user journeys. Using computer vision techniques to quantify blank screens, time to interact, loading time, loading or buffering animations, and content quality, our AI models can automatically diagnose server-side issues whether they arise from infrastructure deployment issues, poor performance, or API errors. For a custom analysis of your app, request a Performance Insight report from HeadSpin.
The Bumble iOS app took 6.96 seconds to launch
HEADSPIN RECOMMENDATION: There are multiple calls to load 3rd party SDKs that could be the cause of the slowdown in launch time. In particular, the connection to Apps-Flyer took 11.34 seconds to complete. Consider taking a deeper look at how these SDKs are being loaded.
Optimize API Calls
Below are all the API calls that were made while scrolling on someone’s profile.
HEADSPIN RECOMMENDATION: Consider taking a look at how your resources are being prefetched. There were instances where less important content was being fetched aggressively before content that the user was immediately about to engage with. It’s best to ensure that immediate or near-soon content is loaded first before future content. The Performance Session shows that 4 TCP connections were created to bumbcdn.com and that requests for photos were made consecutively before the primary content had finished loading.
Analyzing HTTP Traffic
This is a snapshot of the HTTP traffic experienced in this session. HeadSpin allows you to export this data (and much more) as a CSV for further analysis. From this exported data, we were able to figure out more accurately which resource was being requested when and then went on to determine the Bumble app’s prefetching patterns.
HEADSPIN RECOMMENDATION: One aspect to consider is how image sizes are currently optimized. There was an instance in this session where the size of the image returned was larger than required. See the session »
Another optimization technique to consider converting file formats from jpeg to webp. For the 105 kb image above, converting into webp format makes it 70.9 KB. With all the images being served by the host, this would reduce load time significantly.
Optimizing Connection Reuse
There were 15 instances where Bumble created new TCP connections to the Bumble API instead of reusing existing ones.
HEADSPIN RECOMMENDATION: Consider organizing your connections into a few large buckets, versus many small buckets. Since every connection to your server keeps the device radio on, it’s crucial to minimize the connections that occur to preserve battery consumption and cellular data used.
How to Work With HeadSpin
HeadSpin Powers Flawless Mobile App Performance
HeadSpin’s state-of-the-art Digital Experience Intelligence Platform™ will empower your engineering teams to:
- Execute automation tests on real carrier-enabled devices worldwide
- Discover performance bottlenecks
- Collect and visualize your performance data
- Seamlessly integrate with your CI/CD workflow
- Monitor every critical user flow of your mobile experience
- Pinpoint issues that cause performance regressions and impact user experience earlier in your development cycle
- Launch new features confidently by monitoring and analyzing root causes of performance issues throughout the development life cycle
- Drive new user installs and user engagement with optimized performance
- Forge user trust and safety, accelerating consumer services for critical user paths across your apps and website
- Benchmark KPIs for mobile performance to understand how your user experience for your mobile app and website compares to your peers in the same industry
- Support localized testing across thousands of devices and 70+ countries around the world, on real devices under real-world conditions
HeadSpin has the product and solutions expertise to help you perfect the digital experience for your customers! Our team hails from digital pioneers, such as Google and Facebook, and has already delivered enhanced mobile-centric experiences for a diverse set of Fortune 1000 clients. HeadSpin’s strategic insights can help you:
- Drive new user acquisition, user engagement, and feature adoption
- Deploy app security measures on iOS and Android
- Build consistent performance standards and experiences across all your mobile apps and websites