HeadSpin Proposes Speed Optimizations as Largest Catch for Fishbrain
Overview and Methodology For Our Analysis
iPhone 8 / Verizon / Miami
HeadSpin Connected Intelligence Platform
- Review multiple 3rd party SDKs that cause slowdown in launch time
- Type of images used
- Optimize connection reuse
- HeadSpin analyzed version 8.2.0 of the Fishbrain iOS app on a real iPhone 8 in Miami, on the Verizon network.
- NO SDK, code change or instrumentation was needed to run the remote performance sessions.
- HeadSpin’s AI engine sifted through network traffic, client-side metrics, and videos of the test execution to find areas of poor user experience and performance bottlenecks.
- Recommendations were provided for every issue that was surfaced.
HeadSpin looked at Fishbrain reviews in the App Store and found some users struggling with functional issues and technical errors.
Fishbrain ratings is currently 4.7/5 on the App Store.
Insights and Recommendations
HeadSpin’s proprietary AI technology analyzes and prioritizes the core issues impacting critical user journeys. Using computer vision techniques to quantify blank screens, time to interact, loading time, loading or buffering animations, and content quality, our AI models can automatically diagnose server-side issues whether they arise from infrastructure deployment issues, poor performance, or API errors. For a custom analysis of your app, request a Performance Insight report from HeadSpin.
|Launch Time||14696 ms|
|Sign Up Time||8396 ms|
|Search Time||2271 ms|
- Review 3rd party SDKs and APIs and load them when needed and asynchronously.
- Reuse connections
- Use Webp over Jpeg to compress images
Launch time for the app was 14696 ms. There are many slow API calls taking place during launch which could be contributing to this slowdown. The snapshot on the left shows some of those calls, you can see them all by clicking on the session link.
These were the slowest calls:
POST to https://api.amplitude.com/
POST to RevenueCat endpoint
We noticed connection reuse issues with Fishbrain hosts, where new connections were opened instead of reusing already existing ones. 36 instances of this issue were noticed on the rutilus.fishbrain host, and 40 on the Cloudfront host.
Image Type — Compressing images is crucial
We noticed that your app is requesting jpeg files for images. Review the jpeg files and see if you can compress the images using image scaling tools.
How to Work With HeadSpin
HeadSpin Powers Flawless Mobile App Performance
HeadSpin’s state-of-the-art Digital Experience Intelligence Platform™ will empower your engineering teams to:
- Execute automation tests on real carrier-enabled devices worldwide
- Discover performance bottlenecks
- Collect and visualize your performance data
- Seamlessly integrate with your CI/CD workflow
- Monitor every critical user flow of your mobile experience
- Pinpoint issues that cause performance regressions and impact user experience earlier in your development cycle
- Launch new features confidently by monitoring and analyzing root causes of performance issues throughout the development life cycle
- Drive new user installs and user engagement with optimized performance
- Forge user trust and safety, accelerating consumer services for critical user paths across your apps and website
- Benchmark KPIs for mobile performance to understand how your user experience for your mobile app and website compares to your peers in the same industry
- Support localized testing across 32,000+ devices and 160+ countries around the world, on real devices under real-world conditions
HeadSpin has the product and solutions expertise to help you perfect the digital experience for your customers! Our team hails from digital pioneers, such as Google and Facebook, and has already delivered enhanced mobile-centric experiences for a diverse set of Fortune 1000 clients. HeadSpin’s strategic insights can help you:
- Drive new user acquisition, user engagement, and feature adoption
- Deploy app security measures on iOS and Android
- Build consistent performance standards and experiences across all your mobile apps and websites