HeadSpin Proposes Speed Optimizations as Maximum Fun for Houseparty
Overview and Methodology For Our Analysis
Samsung Note 9 / AT&T / Mountain View
HeadSpin Connected Intelligence Platform
- Review the anomalous black screen. Could be a bug
- Reduce errors from too many requests
- Optimize app loading
- HeadSpin analyzed the latest version of the Houseparty Android app on a real Samsung Note 9 in Mountain View, on the AT&T network.
- NO SDK, code change or instrumentation was needed to run the remote performance sessions.
- HeadSpin’s AI engine sifted through network traffic, client-side metrics, and videos of the test execution to find areas of poor user experience and performance bottlenecks.
- Recommendations were provided for every issue that was surfaced.
HeadSpin looked at Houseparty reviews in the Play Store and found many users were struggling with performance issues and functional errors.
Houseparty’s ratings is currently 3/5 on the Play Store.
Insights and Recommendations
HeadSpin’s proprietary AI technology analyzes and prioritizes the core issues impacting critical user journeys. Using computer vision techniques to quantify blank screens, time to interact, loading time, loading or buffering animations, and content quality, our AI models can automatically diagnose server-side issues whether they arise from infrastructure deployment issues, poor performance, or API errors. For a custom analysis of your app, request a Performance Insight report from HeadSpin.
We have carried out the below basic functions during our analysis of Houseparty:
1- Installed app in remote device
2- Launched the app on the remote device
3- Signed up using a test account
4- Forced exit the app
5- Sign in using our test account
During the app launch, we noticed that the below black screen with the on screen conversation controls gets rendered before the Splash screen and then disappears and the next screen is rendered. Are you aware of this bug?
During our analysis we noticed that the app returned a number of HTTP Errors. Check the table for more details.
|Impact Time (ms)||Status Code||Status Message||Content Type||URL|
|9||429||Too Many Requests||application/x-protobuf||Link|
|13||400||Bad Request||text/html; charset=UTF-8||Link|
As shown in the screenshots below, too many requests were made in close succession to this host api2-prod-alb.secrethouse.party resulting in a Too Many Requests error.
App Loading Indefinitely
During our test we found that the app sometimes hangs and freezes after a sign in as shown in the below screenshot. We were able to reproduce this issue several times on Android using this test account firstname.lastname@example.org.
HEADSPIN RECOMMENDATION: Revise the api calls made during Sign In and only perform api calls that are relevant to the Sign In process. Investigate the user record associated with our test account email@example.com to surface any issues or null pointers.
How to Work With HeadSpin
HeadSpin Powers Flawless Mobile App Performance
HeadSpin’s state-of-the-art Digital Experience Intelligence Platform™ will empower your engineering teams to:
- Execute automation tests on real carrier-enabled devices worldwide
- Discover performance bottlenecks
- Collect and visualize your performance data
- Seamlessly integrate with your CI/CD workflow
- Monitor every critical user flow of your mobile experience
- Pinpoint issues that cause performance regressions and impact user experience earlier in your development cycle
- Launch new features confidently by monitoring and analyzing root causes of performance issues throughout the development life cycle
- Drive new user installs and user engagement with optimized performance
- Forge user trust and safety, accelerating consumer services for critical user paths across your apps and website
- Benchmark KPIs for mobile performance to understand how your user experience for your mobile app and website compares to your peers in the same industry
- Support localized testing across thousands of devices and 70+ countries around the world, on real devices under real-world conditions
HeadSpin has the product and solutions expertise to help you perfect the digital experience for your customers! Our team hails from digital pioneers, such as Google and Facebook, and has already delivered enhanced mobile-centric experiences for a diverse set of Fortune 1000 clients. HeadSpin’s strategic insights can help you:
- Drive new user acquisition, user engagement, and feature adoption
- Deploy app security measures on iOS and Android
- Build consistent performance standards and experiences across all your mobile apps and websites