HeadSpin Proposes Speed Optimizations as Best Deals for Lidl
Overview and Methodology For Our Analysis
iPhone 8 / Telekom / Frankfurt
HeadSpin Connected Intelligence Platform
- Review slow server response for some of the APIs
- Optimize connection reuse
- HeadSpin analyzed the latest version of the Lidl iOS app on a real iPhone 8 in Frankfurt, on the Telekom network.
- NO SDK, code change or instrumentation was needed to run the remote performance sessions.
- HeadSpin’s AI engine sifted through network traffic, client-side metrics, and videos of the test execution to find areas of poor user experience and performance bottlenecks.
- Recommendations were provided for every issue that was surfaced.
HeadSpin looked at Lidl reviews in the App Store and found some users struggling with functional issues and technical errors.
Lidl ratings is currently 2.6/5 on the App Store.
Insights and Recommendations
HeadSpin’s proprietary AI technology analyzes and prioritizes the core issues impacting critical user journeys. Using computer vision techniques to quantify blank screens, time to interact, loading time, loading or buffering animations, and content quality, our AI models can automatically diagnose server-side issues whether they arise from infrastructure deployment issues, poor performance, or API errors. For a custom analysis of your app, request a Performance Insight report from HeadSpin.
|Launch Time||9 sec|
|Search and Add An Item||1 min 7 sec|
The sample performance analysis focusing on a typical critical user journey for Lidl. Following are the top performance areas that can be optimized for Lidl.
Slow TLS The application waited longer than 300 ms to complete TLS handshakes some of the hosts which is considered slower than optimal.
Slow Server The server response time for one or more api calls took more than 500ms which is considered to be slow. In particular calls made to https://app.adjust.com/event and https://media.lidl-flyer.com had longer response times and this is where most of the performance improvements should take place.
The app can benefit from further detailed analysis into the different performance affecting issues which Headspin can assist with. One example is how does the app perform at different times of the day in particular during peak times? How does the app perform on different devices with different specs, or in different cities?
|Time to first interaction||9 sec|
The time it takes for your users to start interacting with the app is of great importance and should be minimized as much as possible. We have used the below screen as our control screen to measure the the Time to First Interaction (TTI).
|Search and Add An Item||1 min 7 sec|
HEADSPIN RECOMMENDATION: Consider enabling keep-alive to reuse established connections. Examine the costs of additional overhead incurred by any domain sharding optimizations. Consider caching strategies to reduce or eliminate handshake round trips.
The application waited longer than 500 ms to receive the first byte in HTTP responses from these hosts.
HEADSPIN RECOMMENDATION: The slower than optimal response time could be due to a number of reasons, long server side operations, serving resources from the incorrect edge of a CDN.
We recommend that you investigate the above hostS and try to reduce the overall time to be within the optimal 500ms response time.
How to Work With HeadSpin
HeadSpin Powers Flawless Mobile App Performance
HeadSpin’s state-of-the-art Digital Experience Intelligence Platform™ will empower your engineering teams to:
- Execute automation tests on real carrier-enabled devices worldwide
- Discover performance bottlenecks
- Collect and visualize your performance data
- Seamlessly integrate with your CI/CD workflow
- Monitor every critical user flow of your mobile experience
- Pinpoint issues that cause performance regressions and impact user experience earlier in your development cycle
- Launch new features confidently by monitoring and analyzing root causes of performance issues throughout the development life cycle
- Drive new user installs and user engagement with optimized performance
- Forge user trust and safety, accelerating consumer services for critical user paths across your apps and website
- Benchmark KPIs for mobile performance to understand how your user experience for your mobile app and website compares to your peers in the same industry
- Support localized testing across 32,000+ devices and 160+ countries around the world, on real devices under real-world conditions
HeadSpin has the product and solutions expertise to help you perfect the digital experience for your customers! Our team hails from digital pioneers, such as Google and Facebook, and has already delivered enhanced mobile-centric experiences for a diverse set of Fortune 1000 clients. HeadSpin’s strategic insights can help you:
- Drive new user acquisition, user engagement, and feature adoption
- Deploy app security measures on iOS and Android
- Build consistent performance standards and experiences across all your mobile apps and websites