HeadSpin Proposes Speed Optimizations as Paisa Wasool for TATA CLiQ
Paisa Wasool – Hindi version of ‘more bang for a buck’
Overview and Methodology For Our Analysis
OnePlus2 / Vodafone / New Delhi
iPhone 6 / Jio / New Delhi
HeadSpin Connected Intelligence Platform
- Review multiple 3rd party SDKs that cause slowdown in launch time
- Ensure that immediate content is loaded first before future content.
- Optimize connection reuse
- HeadSpin analyzed the latest version of the TATA CLiQ iOS and Android app on a real iPhone 6 and OnePlus2 in New Delhi, on Jio and Vodafone Network.
- NO SDK, code change or instrumentation was needed to run the remote performance sessions.
- HeadSpin’s AI engine sifted through network traffic, client-side metrics, and videos of the test execution to find areas of poor user experience and performance bottlenecks.
- Recommendations were provided for every issue that was surfaced.
HeadSpin looked at TATA CLiQ reviews in the App Store and Play Store and found some users struggling with functional issues and technical errors.
TATA CLiQ’s ratings is currently 4.6/5 on the App Store and 4.3/5 on the Play Store.
Insights and Recommendations
HeadSpin’s proprietary AI technology analyzes and prioritizes the core issues impacting critical user journeys. Using computer vision techniques to quantify blank screens, time to interact, loading time, loading or buffering animations, and content quality, our AI models can automatically diagnose server-side issues whether they arise from infrastructure deployment issues, poor performance, or API errors. For a custom analysis of your app, request a Performance Insight report from HeadSpin.
Executive Summary of Top Performance Areas
- Launch time to interact was 2.63 seconds on Android, and 4.47 seconds on iOS.
- 8 HTTP errors were found in the Android session and 5 in the iOS session.
- There were 27 instances of new connections to Tata CLiQ APIs when existing connections could have been reused in the Android session, and 55 instances of the same issue in the iOS session.
- Duplicate messages were detected within your app, with more than one request for the same resource occurring 24 times in the Android session, resulting in an impact time of 7494 ms. This issue only occured 2 times in the iOS session.
- Changing the image format from jpeg to webp can boost performance.
- We noticed a functional issue on the categories page in both versions of the app where the training and sports shoes categories did not return anything.
- Several APIs had slow server responses in both versions.
All KPIs are from sessions ran on a OnePlus 2 located in New Delhi, on Vodafone
|App Name||Launch Time||Search||Add to Cart|
|Tata CLiQ||2.63 sec||4 sec||1.87 sec|
|Amazon||6.5 sec||3.1 sec||0.67 sec|
|Flipkart||6.6 sec||1.6 sec||0.77 sec|
The launch time for this app was 2.63 seconds.Our Waterfall UI allows you to see all the API calls made during this time. The shaded orange area corresponds to the time in the session where the app was launching.
There were 8 HTTP errors in this session
Optimizing Connection Reuse
We detected 27 instances where new connections were created to Tata CLiQ hosts alone.Our Waterfall UI allows you to see every single time a new connection was created when an old one could have been reused.
The app made more than one request for the same resource 24 times to Tata CLiQ hosts.
The img.tatacliq.com host is returning images in jpeg format as opposed to webp.
Functional Issues — Categories Page
Within the categories page, clicking on the preset categories “Training Shoes” and “SportsShoes” returns a no item found error.
This is a summary of the API calls to the tatacliq.com host. The average wait time for a response was 556 ms.
HEADSPIN RECOMMENDATION: Look at how much server-side work this host is performing before fulfilling requests.
The launch time for the iOS app was 4.47 seconds.
The slowest call was to the graph.facebook host at this endpoint, and took 845 ms to complete.
Functional Issues — Categories Page
The “Training Shoes” and “Sports Shoes” preset categories do not return any search results when clicked. This issue was also detected in the Android version of the app.
This image shows all the API calls that took over 500 ms to the tatacliq.com host. With our Waterfall UI, you can see which hosts and which specific calls are causing delays. From looking at the timestamps within the waterfall, the first set of slow calls (in the orange box) in this screenshot corresponds to the user loading a shirt. The slowest API call took 4.32 seconds to complete, and was to this endpoint.
The screenshot below gives a high-level view of the performance of the tatacliq.com host:
USER ENGAGEMENT & RETENTION DATA
January Retention for Tata CLiQ in India vs Top 100 Apps in India
How to Work With HeadSpin
HeadSpin Powers Flawless Mobile App Performance
HeadSpin’s state-of-the-art Digital Experience Intelligence Platform™ will empower your engineering teams to:
- Execute automation tests on real carrier-enabled devices worldwide
- Discover performance bottlenecks
- Collect and visualize your performance data
- Seamlessly integrate with your CI/CD workflow
- Monitor every critical user flow of your mobile experience
- Pinpoint issues that cause performance regressions and impact user experience earlier in your development cycle
- Launch new features confidently by monitoring and analyzing root causes of performance issues throughout the development life cycle
- Drive new user installs and user engagement with optimized performance
- Forge user trust and safety, accelerating consumer services for critical user paths across your apps and website
- Benchmark KPIs for mobile performance to understand how your user experience for your mobile app and website compares to your peers in the same industry
- Support localized testing across 32,000+ devices and 160+ countries around the world, on real devices under real-world conditions
HeadSpin has the product and solutions expertise to help you perfect the digital experience for your customers! Our team hails from digital pioneers, such as Google and Facebook, and has already delivered enhanced mobile-centric experiences for a diverse set of Fortune 1000 clients. HeadSpin’s strategic insights can help you:
- Drive new user acquisition, user engagement, and feature adoption
- Deploy app security measures on iOS and Android
- Build consistent performance standards and experiences across all your mobile apps and websites